At Storytel, we believe that we have an obligation – to our customers, our employees, our communities, our investors, and the environment – to operate our business sustainably. The publishers within Storytel Books have a environmental, social and economical sustainability and we aim to keep our leadership. We want to be a part of a sustainable world with thinking and reading citizens and achieve this with minimal climate impact.
As a book publisher we have an impact on the climate, mainly from printed books but also from distribution of audiobooks to mobiles and tablets. We aim to reduce the climate impact by developing methods to create, print and distribute books with minimal environmental impact.
Our goal is to lead the market by implementing standards at an early stage to reduce our climate impact. Among many things we do, we are a part of i UN Global Compact.
Freedom of Speech
The foundation for at book publisher is freedom of speech. To secure and expand freedom of speech is fundamental. If the right to speak freely is restricted, it will affect our industry and the societies irrevocably. To maintain an open and free society we publish oppressed authors from various parts of the world and vi support national and international networks such as PEN and IPA, who works to strengthens freedom of speech.
More about Storytel’s Sustainability work
Storytel Sustainability policy
At Storytel, we believe that we have an obligation – to our customers, our employees, our communities, our investors, and the environment – to operate our business sustainably. We are convinced that companies that include sustainability in their operations and business decisions outperform their competitors in the long term. Storytel’s vision is to make the world a more empathetic and creative place with great stories to be shared and enjoyed by anyone, anytime and anywhere. For us to continue delivering on that promise, our growth needs to be both sustainable and compatible with our business targets. Our ambition is to create long term value from a financial, ethical, social and environmental perspective.
1.2. Policy coverage and applicability
This policy focuses mainly on how sustainability should be managed and governed at Storytel and its subsidiaries (hereafter “Storytel”). Furthermore, this policy applies globally to all Storytel entities and their employees globally. In addition, this policy applies to consultants (e.g. contractual partners, advisers, and temporary staff) when they perform work for Storytel. Storytel and its employees shall at all times comply with applicable laws and relevant regulatory frameworks. If this policy is in conflict with imperative legislation of any entity concerned, this policy shall only be applied to the extent that it complies with such legislation. In addition, Storytel and its employees shall comply with Storytel’s Code of Conduct and its global and local policies. The purpose of this policy is to clarify what sustainability means to Storytel, and to guide all of us who work here to make sustainable decisions in our everyday work and when cooperating with external partners. We aim to develop and maintain strong business relationships with external partners who are
committed to ethical standards equivalent to ours. In our Supplier Code of Conduct, we outline the requirements applicable to suppliers conducting business with, or on behalf of, Storytel.
Sustainability: defined as meeting the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.
3. Vision for sustainability at Storytel
We strive to make a positive mark on the planet and its people through our operations.
Businesses leave traces on our planet and Storytel is no exception. However, we are motivated to work towards eliminating negative ones. To Storytel, sustainability means that we take responsibility for the impact that we have on the world around us. We want to offer services and products that are sustainable by design, and our inner determination is for Storytel to have a positive impact on society.
4. Guiding principles
The principles below are based on our Code of Conduct and aim to guide us when making business decisions. We take these principles and other relevant environmental, social and governance principles into consideration when evaluating business risks and opportunities.
- We are committed to pursuing sustainable growth and we act for the long term
- We are committed to minimizing our environmental impact
- We are committed to adding value to people’s lives with our products and services
- We are committed to protecting the integrity of our customers and partners
- We are committed to equality and diversity
- We are committed to cultivating a sustainable workplace
- We are committed to doing business with high ethical standards*
* Storytel has signed the United Nations Global Compact, meaning that we adhere to the following principles:
1. Human Rights: We support and respect the protection of internationally proclaimed human rights; and make sure that we are not complicit in human rights abuses
2. Labour: We uphold the freedom of association and the effective recognition of the right to collective bargaining; the elimination of all forms of forced and compulsory labour; the effective abolition of child labour; and the elimination of discrimination of employment and occupation
3. Environment: We support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges; undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility; and encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies
4. Anti-corruption: We work against corruption in all its forms, including extortion and bribery The Ten Principles of the United Nations Global Compact are derived from: the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the International Labour Organization’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work, the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development, and the United Nations Convention Against Corruption.
Our Footprint – the impact we have on the environment
- Be an environmentally responsible company that minimizes its environmental impact
Our Brainprint – the impact we have on our customers
- Be a socially responsible company that makes a positive contribution to society
Our Fingerprint – the impact that we have on people and partners
- Be an ethical and well-governed company that pursues sustainable growth
6. Reporting and management
We aim for sustainability to be a natural part of everything that we do and that sustainability goals are integrated into our business plans. All employees at Storytel have a responsibility to consider sustainability in their everyday work.
The Storytel Board is responsible for deciding on the strategy and sustainability approach. Goals, policies and processes connected to sustainability are reviewed by the Board on an annual basis.
The Sustainability Committee within the Board monitors the sustainability work on a quarterly basis throughout the year, thereby supporting the Board in fulfilling its responsibilities to specifically address climate & environment, human rights, labour standards, and anti-corruption. The purpose of the Sustainability Committee is to make sure that Storytel works strategically and systematically with sustainability across the business, manages goal-setting and reporting processes, strengthens relations with external stakeholders, and operates with high business ethics.
The Management team decides on the development and the execution of Storytel’s sustainability approach, in line with the strategy set by the Board. The Management team reviews the progress towards the sustainability goals twice per year.
To assure transparency regarding our sustainability strategy and efforts, we report our progress against our strategy and goals in our public Sustainability Report on an annual basis. The Sustainability Report should be finalised in conjunction with the Annual Report.
7. Review of the policy
The Sustainability policy is owned and maintained by the People Team and is reviewed at least once per year or more often if necessary.